Dear Members & Friends of the Cosmic Baseball Association,
Major actions by the Board in 1999
The concept of "membership" at the Cosmic Baseball Association underwent a detailed evaluation during the 1999 Season. This review came at a time of unprecedented gains in the number of requests for membership and the consequent processing of those requests. A final report on the nature of membership at the CBA will be completed and made available sometime during 2000. A broad range of possibilities is under consideration.
The Cosmic Baseball Association went online on the World Wide Web on October 12, 1994. The first cosmic "plates" included a CBA home page and an official roster for the 1995 Paradise Pisces. 1995 was the first full season tracked at the website. By today's standards the process of creating and uploading the pages to our internet service provider (ISP) was crude and unreliable. At the end of 1999 there were over 700 plates accumulating in excess of 30 megabytes of storage space on our ISP's server.
The Cosmic Baseball Association's website continues to attract an increasing number of visitors each year. The addition of various plates and the growth in the general internet population is obviously fueling this situation. Also of interest is the number of return visitors. A new auditing system was enabled in November, 1999 and this should help us better track visits and re-visits to the plates at the website.
The Pete Rose Hall of Fame Controversy plate jumped to the number one spot on the five most visited CBA plates during 1999. The Chelsea Clinton 1997 Cosmic Player Plate jumped over the Casey at the Bat plate and the Diane Arbus Memorial Plate makes a first time appearance on the top five list.
The Chelsea Clinton 1997 Cosmic Player Plate (she was a pitcher for the Paradise Pisces) supplanted the Jack Kerouac 1998 Cosmic Player Plate during the 1999 period as the most popular cosmic player based on the number of recorded plate visits. The Sylvia Plath 1996 Cosmic Player Plate continues to be one of the all time top favorite plates to visit. This is the fourth year in a row it has been in the top five list of favorite player plates.
For the second year in a row the 1998 Bigtopia Barnumstormers Official Cosmic Team Roster registered the most number of visits. Freaks always attract attention. The 1998 Wonderland Warriors Roster, the 1987 Khe Sanh Commanders Roster and the 1997 Paradise Pisces Roster remain in the top five but the 1996 Vestal Virgins Roster has displaced the 1997 Dharma Beats Roster for the1999 period.
Search Engine Listings
Internet search engines continue to register and index CBA plates as they are published. The table below indicates the numbers of "hits" the search term "cosmic baseball association" generates at selected search sites.
1. The Cosmic Baseball Association was originally discorporated in West Hollywood, County of Los Angeles, California on October 9, 1981. After a move to Washington, D.C. in May 1982 the Association became a discorporation in both the District of Columbia and in the State of Maryland.
2. The Cosmic Baseball Association is not strictly speaking a business enterprise and therefore it is not subject to the ways and means of an organization trying to make money. The Cosmic Baseball Association has not yet discovered a way to sell what it markets.
3. The biggest expenses for the Cosmic Baseball Association are the fees paid to our internet service provider (ISP). We have been with essentially the same ISP for six years and despite our provider's growth and various mergers with other companies in the ISP market area, our costs have remained relatively stable with only slight annual increases. Our analysis indicates that the CBA pays a below-market rate for the volume of storage used on our ISP's servers.
4. The primary source of money flowing into the Cosmic Baseball Association's coffers comes from membership dues and random contributions from friends. The total of these funds amounts to approximately 3% of total expenses.
5. The financial situation of the Cosmic Baseball Association is currently stable but subject to quick change. Because the single most important commodity we transact for is basic time, and since the value of time fluctuates, sometimes radically, it is difficult to accurately assemble realistic budgets that will conform to reality over any given time. In terms of dollars and cents we expect expenses to grow at a moderate rate and income to grow at a generally slow rate.
Winter Rookie Draft
Board of Directors Winter Meetings in Pismo Beach, California
Opening Day, Season 2000
Alphatown Ionians @ Paradise Pisces
Summer Rookie Draft
Board of Directors Summer Meetings in Damariscotta , Maine
Regular Season 2000 Ends
CBA's 19th Anniversary
Board of Directors Fall Meetings in Groton, Massachusetts
Cosmic Universal Series XIX
CBA Annual Report, Page 7
Other Annual Reports